Sunday, June 10, 2012

Top Ten Things a Guy Should Know Before Dating an Autism Mom

I stumbled across this one day and wanted to flash it across a couple of email addresses I know.  Mostly one in particular as I'm pretty sure he didn't quite get it.  My reality is very different than what many expect.  Mostly because they are ill informed and don't realize the amount of time and effort that goes into each day.
  1. Be patient… My children and I are worth it.
  2. Be understanding… I may have to cancel at the last minute.
  3. Be thoughtful… If I did cancel, offer to come over for movie night and bring take out that is kid approved.
  4. Sometimes I have a short fuse… Remember what I deal with everyday.
  5. My children come first…. Deal with it.
  6. Somethings in my normal everyday life might be more than you can handle… if that’s the case say so from the beginning.
  7. Being a mom is a full-time job. Being the mom of a kid with special needs is like having two full-time jobs. Being a single mom is like having three.
  8. Never say ‘I love you’ unless you mean it. We don’t have time for games.
  9. Be kind… That shouldn’t need an explanation.
  10. My house is always a mess.. It’s my reality.
These were submitted to the Facebook page: Single Mothers who have Children with Autism by Jennifer Hodgdon..
What other readers added:
  • Complete exhaustion will sometimes happen.
  • Must always be alert and be able to run fast after child, love a headbutt as much as a hug from child, tolerate high-pitched screams, don’t make promises you don’t intend to keep and always realize that kids WILL always come first.
  • Take time to educate yourself about Autism.
  • We are not an easy package deal, but so worth it!  Also, you might just learn about the truly important things in life that others take for granted. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment