Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Stepping from Drama Infested Waters

I haven't been on my page or my blog much lately for many reasons (some of which are updates I'll place in another post).  I apologize that I have been largely neglecting the page and blog.  I've been taking a Facebook break over the past few months.

A much needed Facebook break...

I can't even begin to tell you the amount of drama I missed as a result and how much better my life is for it.  (I had people unfriending me for my mere association with people they suddenly took exception with so... Yeah. There's that.)  My personal newsfeed was beginning to look a lot like the tabloids at the check out line of the grocery store: drama, drama, and look more drama!  It was getting to a point where I couldn't keep up and in my efforts to try and keep up and calm people and figure things out some pretty important things were falling by the wayside. Namely grad school, but also it was taking away time with the kiddo and and distracting me at work.  It was a huge source of stress for me.

A total no go for me.

So I stepped back.

Ok, I took a giant leap back.  My Facebook habit has now been broken and I'm ok with that. I post just enough that people know I'm still alive (once a day or so, mostly pictures shared off my Instagram and through my phone) but I really don't read through my newsfeed anymore.  I take a look at a couple of the top stories and move on.  Thankfully my top stories have shifted from the drama infested folks I know to people who matter a little more.  They know who they are since I interact with them almost daily.  That doesn't mean no one else is important (and I don't always comment or like so it may be hard to tell), it's just that Facebook has weeded the worst of them out of my top stories for one reason or another.  This has cleaned up my newsfeed considerably and made returning for periodic check-ins far more manageable.

I really was never one for drama.  If you are unhappy with your life, then change it.  Despite whatever people think, it really is that simple.  The constant griping about hating one's relationship one day and being madly in love the next, the "oh woe is me" left and right, the complaints about not liking one's job/boss/coworker, the posts that were so ridiculous sappy you knew they were fake, etc was really wearing me out.  And you know what? It had to be wearing them out to be so negative.

When did adults become such children?  I just don't get it.  This is behavior I would expect from the kiddos I teach, not adults in their 30s and beyond.  I seriously have days where I think the Kindergarteners act better.  It's really disheartening. 

I'm generally a positive person and try to see the good things.  I don't like misery and certainly won't go looking for it.  My personal page became a place of misery so I had to retreat.  Over the last 4 months of sitting by and watching when I did log in, I've been able to do a lot of thinking and got the opportunity to see who was missing me.  Turns out there are quite a few and you know what?  They can all be found in the top stories section of my newsfeed.  Coincidence? I think not.

I guess Facebook does know what it's doing sometimes.  It may keep people from seeing the page for this blog, but in a way, it's also helping me see the folks I need to see.  My positive friends who understand me, my kiddo, and will go looking for me if I vanish.

As time goes on I slowly start creeping back in and interacting more.  I'm getting a little more free time and things are going extremely well in our corner (update to come).  I promise to be back more soon- over the summer and it promises to be a great one! :)  Thank you for bearing with me, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for all of you faithfully standing by! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment