Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Some Reasons Why Autistics Rock!

 I came across this Top 10 list and it got me rather excited.  All of this stuff is SO true!  I have a few comments I would like to make and I will make them below and give you the chance to read through this without my Autism mom opinion.
Top 10 Terrific Traits of Autistic People

If you're sick of hearing about all the "deficits" challenging people on the autism spectrum, join the club. But for every down side to autism, there seems to be a positive -- an unusual trait that rarely appears among the "typical" community, but shines out among autistic folk. These pluses are well worth celebrating.

1. Autistic People Rarely Lie

We all claim to value the truth, but almost all of us tell little white lies. All, that is, except people on the autism spectrum. To them, truth is truth -- and a good word from a person on the spectrum is the real deal.

2. People on the Autism Spectrum Live in the Moment

How often do typical people fail to notice what's in front of their eyes because they're distracted by social cues or random chitchat? People on the autism spectrum truly attend to the sensory input that surrounds them. Many have achieved the ideal of mindfulness.

3. People with Autism Rarely Judge Others

Who's fatter? Richer? Smarter? For people on the autism spectrum, these distinctions hold much less importance than for typical folks. In fact, people on the spectrum often see through such surface appearances to discover the real person.

4. Autistic People are Passionate

Of course, not all autistic people are alike. But many are truly passionate about the things, ideas and people in their lives. How many "typical" people can say the same?

5. People with Autism Are Not Tied to Social Expectations

If you've ever bought a car, played a game or joined a club to fit in, you know how hard it is to be true to yourself. But for people with autism, social expectations can be honestly irrelevant. What matters is true liking, interest and passion -- not keeping up with the Joneses.

6. People with Autism Have Terrific Memories

How often do typical people forget directions, or fail to take note of colors, names, and other details? People on the autism spectrum are often much more tuned in to details. They may have a much better memory than their typical peers for all kind of critical details.

7. Autistic People Are Less Materialistic

Of course, this is not universally true -- but in general, people with autism are far less concerned with outward appearance than their typical peers. As a result, they worry less about brand names, hairstyles and other expensive but unimportant externals than most people do.

8. Autistic People Play Fewer Head Games

Who was that woman, and why were you looking at her? I know I TOLD you I didn't mind if you went out, but why did you believe me? Most autistic people don't play games like these -- and they assume that you won't either. It's a refreshing and wonderful change from the Peyton Place emotional roller coaster that mars too many typical relationships!

9. Autistic People Have Fewer Hidden Agendas

Most of the time, if a person on the autism spectrum tells you what he wants -- he is telling you what he wants. No need to beat around the bush, second guess, and hope you're reading between the lines!

10. People with Autism Open New Doors for Neurotypicals

For some of us neurotypicals, having an autistic person in our lives has had a profound positive impact on our perceptions, beliefs and expectations. For me, at least, being the mom of a son on the autism spectrum has released me from a lifetime of "should" -- and offered me a new world of "is."

- Lisa Jo Rudy
Are you ready for my thoughts??? :)

1. Autistic People Rarely Lie

I'm wasn't sure they were really capable of lying for a long time.  We often tell little white lies and big flapping whoppers at times.  Autistics don't.  They will tell you like it is and move on.  It's like their blood is running with a truth serum.  The truth really is the truth and they tell it like it is. Unless it's part of a story.  Which my son LOVES to make up. :)  But even then, he can straight up tell you the truth when you ask him for it.

2. People on the Autism Spectrum Live in the Moment

Before having my son I never had time to notice the apple trees blooming at my mom's house.  I just went about my life not noticing the little things that can make it so grand.  I remember many years ago a dad of a little girl who had Down Syndrome made a comment to me that she stops to smell every flower, feel every rock, and watch every bird fly by and how he never really appreciated life until he had her.  I didn't understand it at 18.  But now, more than 10 years later I fully understand exactly what he's talking about.  There is no worry about tomorrow or even 10 minutes from now.  It's all about being in your own presence and enjoying life as it is, right now, and not missing anything.

3. People with Autism Rarely Judge Others

This is very true.  While my son does have a thing for the girls who are a bit more on the cute side, he doesn't ignore anyone based on how they look, the color of their skin, their disability (or lack thereof), or even how fat/thing/big/little they are.  Not even their age matters.  To quote the Whos, to my son "A person's a person no matter how small" (or big or purple or tall etc.....)

4. Autistic People are Passionate

My son is passionate about everything.  He is loyal to a fault and loves the people in his life more than I've seen married couples show love for each other.  He is passionate about his activities and interests and even the story he just made up in his head.  It's really quite incredible.

5. People with Autism Are Not Tied to Social Expectations

My son is who he is.  He doesn't care what anyone else thinks.  He does what he wants and keeps to whatever interests him regardless of what the "crowd" says.  He is what we all should be, true to himself and his beliefs and feelings.  In this respect Autistics are really a role model for what we should be.  They set such a great example!

6. People with Autism Have Terrific Memories

This one annoys me... But in a good way.  He can remember every twist and turn of any route we take somewhere... The FIRST time we go!  And yes, I hear it when I don't go the "right" way someplace...  He can describe something he saw months ago for only a few minutes with so much detail you would think he was literally just looking at it.  My son doesn't even study for tests (especially not spelling tests) because he can see the word/concept/whatever just once, maybe twice, and it's there, forever plastered in his mind.  He knows the rules and any variations that may occur based on where he is. It's really quite incredible.

7. Autistic People Are Less Materialistic

My son couldn't care less about brand name vs generic, what his hair looks like, what clothes he wears (aside from the feel of them), what toys someone has vs what he has, etc.  Sure he has things he wants, but it's because he sees a use for it himself not because someone else has one.  If he wants something he can give me a good basis of why he thinks he should have it and I guarantee it isn't what typical children say (But so-and-so has one!!!).  He did ask me for a cell phone once, but his reasoning was so that he could call me because he misses me during the day and so that if he gets lost he can call me so I can come get him.  Good reasons (but no he doesn't have one!).

8. Autistic People Play Fewer Head Games

Autistics don't understand generalizations, jokes, sarcasm, or anything analytical in general.  They are usually straight up logical.  The idea of playing head games is just not something they could comprehend.  They don't understand it themselves and don't see why anyone would want to do something so confusing. Refreshing indeed!

9. Autistic People Have Fewer Hidden Agendas

For this one the author couldn't have said it better.  They say straight up what they want.  They don't see the purpose or use of beating around the bush.  Just ask already!

10. People with Autism Open New Doors for Neurotypicals

He has definitely impacted my life in a positive way.  I have stopped to notice things in the moment and tend to take things a little more slowly.  It's hard to explain how much the typical person can miss without even realizing they are doing so.  My son has to stop at everything to investigate it.  A 10 minute trip with him could easily take an hour, even if it's just to the grocery store!  I have definitely shifted to a more "in the moment" approach to life and just try to enjoy life one day at a time, one moment at a time.  There is just so much here to see, touch, experience and enjoy that I would hate to miss any of it.  Any glimpse I can get into his world is worth more to me than anything I could be given in life.

After all, he is the greatest gift I could have been given.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment